Prevent bamboo re-index on upgrade

gbonk July 22, 2012

We're way behind in upgrades to bamboo. We're going to do a pregressive upgrade, stepping through each minor upgrade. Some of the upgrades will force a re-index to occurr, where we don't care as we're not going to be on that version for more that 5 minuntes before we shut it down and upgrade to the next version.

Is there anyway in the upgrade startup for a bamboo config where we could block the forced re-index ?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2012

You can't block it. But going through each minor version is not the recommended upgrade approach.

If you follow the Bamboo upgrade documentation and upgrade only to the required interm versions, there'll be only one reindex when you upgrade to the latest version.

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2012

BTW. I've checked and it seems that recently there's been only one forced reindex in the ugprade tasks - still, I'd recommend doing the upgrade as recommended in the upgrade guide.

gbonk July 22, 2012

Thanks. Maybe I'm not using the right terminology saying "minor" and I
believe I had followed the upgrade guide to the letter.

We were pretty far behind so I had quite a few upgrades to make to get
current. I followed this progression of versions...

There were two forced re-indexes. I did note in the later release notes
that it did say if a re-index was going to be required.

Please let me know if this wasn't correct ( though it worked like a charm )

Also there really are not any explicit "upgrade" instructions when it
comes to the agent on a locally hosted machine that I saw, so I wasn't sure
what to do or how to do it, but after a couple of tries I figured it out.

Thanks.

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
July 22, 2012

That's a LOT of work...

Strictly speaking, the approach you've taken was not incorrect. The recommended approach is to follow the upgrade guide, section "Notes for upgrading from a version of Bamboo prior to 2.7.4", which in your case means that you only needed to upgrade to 2.6.3, then to 2.7.4 and then directly to 4.1.2 .

The problem with upgrading through all releases is that an upgrade task may be buggy in, say, 3.1.4 and fixed in 3.4.x - which means that going directly to 4.1.2 already uses the correct task.

You don't need anything to upgrade agents - be it local or remote.

gbonk July 22, 2012

I understand that now that "You don't need anything to upgrade agents" but it would have been nice if the docs had at least said that :-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events