Post JDK 'jdk1.8.0_73' Install on Bamboo Remote Agent Server the Agent crashes

Hello 

We need JDK 8 for build executions and i installed JDK 'jdk1.8.0_73' on the Remote Agent server. Post installation the application never comes up and we get a message saying A remote agent is loading like below

Feb 19, 2016 2:03:07 AM A remote agent is loading on <Server-Name> (10.1.54.23).

However when i uninstall JAVA 8 the application comes back to life and everything works fine.

We are on Bamboo 5.3 , please help me to troubleshoot this issue.

Cheers

Sandeep

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

You need to use JDK 1.6 to run agent and then add JDK 1.8 as agent capability. Please check that agent starts using JDK 1.6, not 1.8

Thanks Alexey ,

Can you please let me know how to start the Bamboo Agent with JDK 1.6 instead of 1.8 , As soon as i install JDK 1.8 the RA might be picking up JDK 1.8 to start instead of 1.6.

Do i have to perform 'Disabling auto-capability detection for the remote agent' so that it will not use JDK 1.8 ? 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/additional-remote-agent-options-436044733.html 

Cheers

Sandeep

how do you start your RA?

The RA is installed on Windows 2008 box and i have installed it as Windows Service. The services automatically starts during server reboot or we can manually start from services box. 

look at your JAVA_HOME path variable, it should point to JDK 1.6 

Still i am getting the same error. The home is set to JDK 1.6 .., 

C:\Users\s736228>echo %java_home%
D:\ProgramFiles\Java\jdk1.6.0_95

C:\Users\s736228>java -version
java version "1.8.0_73"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_73-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.73-b02, mixed mode)

C:\Users\s736228>

Now i set the path to JDK 1.6 and restarted the services. However the problem still exists.

java version "1.8.0_73"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_73-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.73-b02, mixed mode)

C:\Users\s736228>echo %java_home%
D:\ProgramFiles\Java\jdk1.6.0_95

C:\Users\s736228>set PATH=D:\ProgramFiles\Java\jdk1.6.0_95\bin;%PATH%

java version "1.6.0_95"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_95-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.95-b02, mixed mode)

Hi,

in your RA's configuration, conf\wrapper.conf file, you could try and set 'wrapper.java.command' to explicitly use your JRE 1.6 java.exe

Thanks Alexey and Frederic 

I entered '%java_home%\bin' in the PATH of Environment Variable and things got fixed. Looks like from command prompt if we set the PATH it will not save permanently. 

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 18, 2017 in Bamboo

FAQ: How to Upgrade Bamboo Server

Bamboo 5.9 will no longer be supported after June 12, 2017. What does this mean? As part of our End of Life policy, Atlassian supports major versions for two years after the first major iteratio...

1,802 views 0 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you