Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paren plan with custom revision not triggering child plan

Brandon Jacklyn December 12, 2017

I have a simple setup: the parent plan has the child plan specified on the dependency tab.

When I run the parent plan via "Run plan", the child plan runs as expected and says "Child of PARENT-PLAN-1". However, when I run the plan with a custom revision via "Run customized..." the child plan is not triggered/ran.

I confirmed that running the parent plan with custom variables, and leaving the custom revision textbox blank, DOES trigger the child plan. So the problem seems entirely due to specifying the revision.

Is this a bug or the expected behavior? Ultimately I'd like to be able to remotely kick off the parent build on a specified revision and have the whole pipeline of child plans be triggered, but that is blocked by this issue.

Bamboo version 6.2.3

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2017

Hi Brandon,

I came across a support case and here is how the Engineer explained the behavior:

[...] it was confirmed that this is the expected behaviour in Bamboo. The reason for this is that Bamboo doesn't know which revision of the child plan's repository to use when triggering the child plan following a custom execution of the parent plan.

For instance, imagine you have two repositories:

1. Parent repository, latest revision is 9
  2. Child repository, latest revision is 8

If you now run the parent plan (using Parent repository) in the default mode it will run using the latest revision (9), and consequently the child plan (using Child repository) will also be built using the latest revision in that repository (8). However, when you run the parent plan using revision 7, which revision should Bamboo use to build the child plan? 8? 7? Because this is undefined, Bamboo does not check dependencies when you run the parent plan with a custom revision.

Hopefully that makes sense.  If you have any questions about the above explanation let me know.  I would also recommend creating a Suggestion on JAC to get this behavior into Bamboo.  Describe your use case and link the ticket here so the Community can vote on it.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events