Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NUnit3 console runner not working when run as Command type Task

Bill McGowan July 16, 2017

Hi All,

I am using Bamboo 6.0.3. I have been trying to get my NUnit 3 tests to run using a Command type task (NOT an NUnit 3 runner task) which calls the nunit3-console.exe located in my packages folder but hard as I may try I haven't been able to get the tests to run and the build to succeed.

This is the snippet of the log before the NUnit Runner bombs out:

simple 17-Jul-2017 15:57:29 Starting task 'NUnit 3 Runner' of type 'com.atlassian.bamboo.plugins.scripttask:task.builder.command'
command 17-Jul-2017 15:57:29 Beginning to execute external process for build 'Feature Releases - 5.4.0 - Build Wesbite #39 (CONN-FEATURE0-JOB1-39)'\n ... running command line: \npackages\NUnit.ConsoleRunner.3.7.0\tools\nunit3-console.exe Services.Tests\bin\Release\Services.Tests.dll\n ... in: D:\Bamboo\xml-data\build-dir\CONN-FEATURE0-JOB1\n ... using extra environment variables: \nbamboo_planRepository_1_branch=5.4.0\nbamboo_planRepository_1_branch and so on...

And this Bamboo log snippet below is the next line but it just simply says failed with -1 return code...doesn't even mention what the problem is?

Failing task since return code of [packages\NUnit.ConsoleRunner.3.7.0\tools\nunit3-console.exe Services.Tests\bin\Release\Services.Tests.dll] was -1 while expected 0

I should point out that if I go and manually run the .exe above pointing to the same DLL, it runs successfully and I get the NUnit output in the TestResult.xml file.

The console runner executable is located in the packages folder of my .NET project and if I dive into the checkout directory on the build server the .exe is in packages\NUnit.ConsoleRunner.3.7.0\tools\nunit3-console.exe which is where I have Bamboo looking for the executable:

runner.PNG

And in the build plan I have the following in the Command task:

command.PNG

And the Services.Tests DLL i reference above also exists in the bin\Release folder so it's not that the DLL is missing.

Can anyone please provide any insight into what I am missing here?

Any help is much appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Cristiano Mariano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2017

Hi Bill! How are you doing?

Usually, for Command type tasks, I use absolute paths. I have the Nunit executable in a specific folder in my build agent and point to it. Would you try this approach?

If your file must reside in the source code repository, I would try a Script type task. In Script tasks you can for sure use relative paths.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Cristiano

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events