Is there an easy way to override a global variable only on the the default plan?

Martin Goldhahn April 11, 2017

I want to run sonar qube analysis only on the latest code in the default branch (hg repo, corresponds to master in git).

I have also some integration branches that run the same plan, but should skip sonar analysis.

For this I have a global variable skipSonar=true.

Now I want to set the variable on the default branch to true.

The only way I can achieve this is to create a branch plan for default and set the variable on that branch.

The problem with this is: now I have two plans building the default branch.

Is there a better way?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cintia Calvo April 13, 2017

When I need a build to behave on branches only in a certain way, I use plain-old-bash:

if [[ "${bamboo.planRepository.branchName}" == "master" ]]; then

# do something

else

# do another thing

fi

You might want to combine with environments variables to use certains commands:

JAVA_HOME="${bamboo.capability.system.jdk.JDK 8}" MAVEN_HOME="${bamboo.capability.system.builder.maven.Maven 3}"

(and you might also want to add the requirements manually to the job).

If your maven/gradle build generates junit tests reports, make sure to add a final task with JUnit parser :)

Martin Goldhahn April 20, 2017

Thanks for your answer. This approach would have the advantage that you can fail the build with sonarqube quality gateways, since there is only one plan per artifact.

The downside is that it is not OS agnostic (we have to build on both Windows and Linux) and it also makes the plan more complicated. But still, this might be the solution I will got for... The script would have to set an environment that triggers a Maven profile or turns on the sonar plugin.

0 votes
Cristiano Mariano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2017

Hi Martin! How are you doing?

I did not find a better solution than this. The only way we found to run SonarQube in a specific branch was creating two plans in Bamboo.

Martin Goldhahn April 20, 2017

Thanks for yoour answer.

The disadvantage with having a separate plan is that you cannot use sonarqube quality gateways to fail a build. I had hoped that there was some functionality in Bamboo that would support this workflow.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events