Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to prompt the user for input with Bamboo?

Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2011

There are a few plans that I will run manually, and the input parameters to my custom executable scripts will be different depending on the type of build I wish to run. Right now I have to actually change 4-5 jobs on a single plan to put the proper input parameters in, I was wondering if there was a way for me to prompt the user whenever a plan was executed to input parameters manually, and those would translate to each of the individual jobs?

Edit: I did figure out about plan variables that I could use, so this makes it slightly better, but I would still prefer a prompt if that is possible.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2011

Use "Run Customised" instead of plain "Run" on your plan (available starting with Bamboo 3.1), it will let you override any variables used within your plan.

Cameron Ferguson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2011

I see "Run Parameterised" which does it, so I assume Run Customised was probably a different version for the same thing, but that's EXACTLY what i want! Thanks again Przemek!

Deleted user April 27, 2014

Brining that up again...

I would also like to require the user input.

In Jenkins a job can have parameters and if you want to run a build, an intermediate screen is diplayed where the user can set / review parameters (with default values filled in).

Is this possible with Bamboo?

William Gomes May 5, 2014

I would like to to do this as well. I have manual stages defined for a single plan. Different variables are required depending on stages being run, however devs always forget to enter the necessary values. Anyway to accomplish this?

Madhusudhan Matrubai June 27, 2014

I need this one too..would be great if anyone discovered anyother workaround here.

123 23 April 25, 2016

We need this feature too.. Is there a workaround?

paulenka-aleh October 18, 2017

I know, it's been a while since subject was requested... I'd like to see it implemented as well.

conan_chen June 21, 2018

we need this feature as well. 

schow-lmi3d October 24, 2018

We need this feature as well.

0 votes
Bill Wang June 6, 2018

My requirement is not to build plan. I need a "Run Customised" at deployment plan. 

The use case:

I have 5 non-prod environments to be deployed. Currently I have to set 5 deploy environments, but in fact, for each of them, only one variable is adjusted. (for example, environment=dev)

So I'd like to run the deployment with prompt for which environment you want to run with. Furtherly, I can run with different environment setting via curl API Call. 

Lucky number slevin November 12, 2018

Hi Bill, did you found a work around for this case ?

ozbillwang November 12, 2018

no

kishorereddymannem April 15, 2019

Hi Bill,

Did you find anything for this?

Regards

Kishore

ozbillwang May 20, 2019

Google the solution, I found this https://iuliusathome.blogspot.com/p/custom-deployments-for-bamboo.html

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216138/custom-deployments-for-bamboo?hosting=server&tab=overview

I have no chance to test, seems a promise. 

But in our company, we can't install these pay plugins. 

brandones April 24, 2020

I just added the variable to my job with an empty value, and added to the top of my script the lines

if [ "${bamboo_MY_VAR}" = "" ]; then
echo "You must use \"Run customised...\" --> " \
"\"Override a variable\" and provide a value for MY_VAR."
exit 1
fi

Obviously not a perfect solution, but not bad if you're not in the position to pay for plugins. Hope this helps.

0 votes
Slava Ross February 19, 2018

In our case I would like the user to decide, how to proceed in case of specific job output, is there a way to do so?

Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2018

@Slava Ross, it looks like your case is described at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-11257. Vote for it and watch for updates

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events