In what order do Bamboo child build plans execute? How can I dictate that order of execution?

David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2014

Bamboo v5.0, Windows Server 2008, JIRA v6.1, C# projects.

I want to run a series of 3 Bamboo build plans when performing a version Release from JIRA. It is critical that they run in a specific order (each build output is pushed to a local NuGet server).

To complicate matters slightly, I need the JIRA version number to be available to all 3 build plans. The variable ${bamboo.jira.version} is only available to the parent build plan, not to the children (a possible 'deficiency' that has been noted by others).

To take care of the JIRA version number however, I have configured the parent build plan to write the JIRA version being released to files that are accessible to each child build plan - clunky, but it works.

But here is the real problem - I have added each of the child build plans via the Dependencies tab of the parent build plan. Before I click the Save button, they appear in the list in the correct order from top to bottom.

After clicking the Save button however, Bamboo re-orders them alphabetically!

My question therefore is, in which order do child build plans actually execute?

If it is not in the same order as they were added in the parent (ie not in alphabetical order), then what options do I have to enforce the order?

NOTE: I have tried 'chaining' the child builds with the 'master' parent only callling the first, but Bamboo seems to get confused about which are children are now 'parents' and some children run more than once.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David FALLAS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2014

I have been unable to find a completely satisfactory way to resolve this. However, adding all the tasks to a single job is what I originally had and is now the build configuraiton that I have fallen back to.

I have made modifcations to the MSBuild targets being called to ensure fine control of some information being passed from one build to another is correct.

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2014

The 'chaining' approach should work, if it does not, it's a bug. Can you put all plans in the same plan as jobs, each in its own stage? That would guarantee the order as well.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events