Ideal SSD configuration for Bamboo Server

Madhusudhan Matrubai December 10, 2014

Hi There, has anyone tried to improve their build times on Bamboo servers ?

From the logs we found a lot of IO traffic and hence we got SSD disks, now comes the challenge what kind of configuration is ideal for an high performance server.

Currently we have set at 4K block size.

I would like to know if anyone else has implemented SSD on Bamboo servers and what settings they used.

Thanks

4 answers

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2014

Bamboo should not saturate IO capacity of your SSDs regardless of their configuration.

To ensure peak performance, enable trim (or use fstrim) and apply the regular write amplification prevention measures (any SSD partitioning/FS setup tutorial will be good). Bamboo does not require anything specific.

0 votes
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2014

Hi Madhusudhan, 

You can get some performance improvement with SSD regarding I/O. However, I/O always have many details that we need to pay attention. The block size, the size of files that will be read/write, the file system, etc. 

So, what I suggest you if you are running Bamboo on Linux, is have a look on this link:

http://serverfault.com/questions/243243/filesystem-options-for-intensive-random-i-o

I hope it helps.

Regards, 

Renato Rudnicki

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2014

I would also assume it is not actually bamboo but the build tools you are using to do the builds.  You need to describe your bamboo build steps to actually provide better information.   I would also look at your OS buffer cache or OS disk speeds.

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2014

I don't know if it is worth it. We build always on remote agents.

I guess on the server there are two areas where you can consider using SSDs:

The work space folders (xml-data) and the artifacts folder.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events