cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Bamboo
  • Questions
  • I'm using a Ubuntu elastic bamboo instance and I need more root volume disk space than 8gb it has. Do I need to create a custom image?

I'm using a Ubuntu elastic bamboo instance and I need more root volume disk space than 8gb it has. Do I need to create a custom image?

Gary Ormsby August 27, 2015

What's the preferred method to simply get a larger root volume? 

I could add another EBS volume and change my scripts to use that, but I think that would be more trouble.

6 answers

1 vote
Martin Zdarsky March 13, 2016

The partition /dev/xvdb 3.9G /mnt does NOT come from the AMI image. This partition is attached by amazon during an instance start up as primary HDD to write on. By default Bamboo selects m3 medium which gives you 4GB. If you use m3 large then you'll get 32GB space.

See https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2016

We will soon release images with more space available.

0 votes
Alex Soto January 11, 2016

I just ran into this problem myself.  Our build agents install 3rd party software that uses the root partition and it get's filled up real quick since the default root partition is 8GB. 

I resolved this by selecting the agent in the EC2 console and selecting Image | Copy Image.  I increased the root partition size on the copy.  Then once the image was available used that new AMI id for my bamboo elastic agents.

Would be nice if Bamboo allows some way to customize the the launch details of Elastic Agents!

0 votes
Gary Ormsby September 25, 2015

I finally got around to looking at this again.

I ended up changing the docker graph direcory (-g option) to reference a directory I created in /home/bamboo (the /mnt partition).  The hardest part was figuring where to do this.  Initially I changed /etc/sysconfig/docker, as many forums mention, but that didn't do the trick.  Once I saw that docker was running as a service I changed /lib/systemd/system/docker.service, which worked.

Thanks guys.

Martin Zdarsky March 1, 2016

Hi @Gary Ormsby,

Can you explain what did you do specifically. With examples, please? smile

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2015

Can't you use the storage mounted under /media/ephemeral0 ?

Alex Soto January 11, 2016

see my recent comment below. Customized agents that install third party software can't control where they lay down their files. Especially if they are installing into /usr/bin, etc. Simply booting a bare agent the root partition is already close to full. It would be great if the Bamboo Elastic config allow customization of launch details.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events