• Community
  • Products
  • Bamboo
  • Questions
  • I'm using a Ubuntu elastic bamboo instance and I need more root volume disk space than 8gb it has. Do I need to create a custom image?

I'm using a Ubuntu elastic bamboo instance and I need more root volume disk space than 8gb it has. Do I need to create a custom image?

What's the preferred method to simply get a larger root volume? 

I could add another EBS volume and change my scripts to use that, but I think that would be more trouble.

6 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

The partition /dev/xvdb 3.9G /mnt does NOT come from the AMI image. This partition is attached by amazon during an instance start up as primary HDD to write on. By default Bamboo selects m3 medium which gives you 4GB. If you use m3 large then you'll get 32GB space.

See https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

Can't you use the storage mounted under /media/ephemeral0 ?

see my recent comment below. Customized agents that install third party software can't control where they lay down their files. Especially if they are installing into /usr/bin, etc. Simply booting a bare agent the root partition is already close to full. It would be great if the Bamboo Elastic config allow customization of launch details.

I finally got around to looking at this again.

I ended up changing the docker graph direcory (-g option) to reference a directory I created in /home/bamboo (the /mnt partition).  The hardest part was figuring where to do this.  Initially I changed /etc/sysconfig/docker, as many forums mention, but that didn't do the trick.  Once I saw that docker was running as a service I changed /lib/systemd/system/docker.service, which worked.

Thanks guys.

Hi @Gary Ormsby,

Can you explain what did you do specifically. With examples, please? smile

I just ran into this problem myself.  Our build agents install 3rd party software that uses the root partition and it get's filled up real quick since the default root partition is 8GB. 

I resolved this by selecting the agent in the EC2 console and selecting Image | Copy Image.  I increased the root partition size on the copy.  Then once the image was available used that new AMI id for my bamboo elastic agents.

Would be nice if Bamboo allows some way to customize the the launch details of Elastic Agents!

We will soon release images with more space available.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

49 views 2 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you