Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to trigger a dependent plan in Bamboo when using branches

reikje September 25, 2014

In Bamboo 5.6.1 is it possible to trigger a dependent plan if the parent plan (the plan that triggers) is using the branches features? As far as I understand, you can only trigger a child plan if that child has a branch of the same name. Is that correct? What we want is to trigger the child plan every time any branch in the parent is build without having to duplicate all the branches.

PARENT (branch FOO, branch BAR) -> CHILD 

5 answers

1 vote
Steven Castelein August 24, 2018

I do have a related scenario. So we're working with JGitflow on 2 projects. ProjectA has a branch Super Cool Feature. Project B also has a feature branch that depends on this project by declaring a maven dependency on project-a-super_cool_feature-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT .

So if a developer pushes changes to Project A's feature branch, I expect that the feature branch of ProjectB is built as well.

1 vote
reikje September 25, 2014

In our specific case, the MASTER branches are creating an RPM file that needs to be uploaded to S3 and our YUM repository needs to be refreshed. Previously we were doing this as task of each build but now the YUM repository has gotten too large so that this step takes too long. Instead each MASTER branch will create it's RPM artifact and move it to a shared location. Then the idea is to have a dependent CHILD that handles the S3 upload YUM repository updates. This CHILD doesn't really care about branches since it will work on the RPM files in the shared location.

0 votes
Ted Schlossmacher February 3, 2021

I too have this use case.  Has it been implemented yet?

0 votes
Divin Honnappa December 13, 2016

@Krystian Brazulewicz

Is this scenario still not being considered?

In my scenario, I'll be having lot of plan branches for release (one or two for each sprint) and hotfix and since the plans and deployment projects have one to one relation, it's a manual process and a pain to do deployment process.

For Continuous Deployments from branches, it would be really helpful if we can have automatic trigger update with active branches in deployment or if we can have the described scenario.

Thanks,

Divin

0 votes
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2014

Reik

Bamboo works exactly as you described:

As far as I understand, you can only trigger a child plan if that child has a branch of the same name.

We haven't considered scenario you have described:

we want is to trigger the child plan every time any branch in the parent is build

Can you please describe your usecase more? I mean what are the reasons to build a single branch of CHILD whenever any branch of MASTER will be updated?

krishna vaitla March 5, 2019

We have same issue:

Plan A with (branch FOO , branch BAR) --> trigger upon successful completion Plan B(without branches)

Plan A (has release and dev branches and developers want us to build both branches at different time we will use trigger to do this ) --> after build is successful it needs to trigger PlanB (Regression jobs that will run on both parent branches at different time)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events