Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print to stdout and save to variable (/dev/tty: No such device or address)?

Deleted user November 14, 2017

I have the following Script, the Interpreter is set to Shell:

#!/bin/bash

RESULT=$(<cmd> | tee /dev/tty)
IMAGE_ID=$(python -c "<do sth. with $RESULT>")

I would like to store the result of cmd in RESULT and "print" it on screen (make it appear in the logs), but I am getting: tee: /dev/tty: No such device or address.

Any ideas how to achieve this?

I could just printf/echo $RESULT after the cmd finishes, but I would like to have "live" output.

2 answers

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2017

Interesting question - I'm not a shell scripting expert, but the following approach based on I/O Redirection to additional file descriptors seems to work well:

#!/bin/bash

exec 5>&1
RESULT=$(<cmd> | tee /dev/fd/5)
IMAGE_ID=$(python -c "<do sth. with $RESULT>")

Here's a test command to demonstrate it with Bamboo's Script task:

#!/bin/bash

exec 5>&1
RESULT=$(for i in `seq 1 8`; do ls -l && sleep 2; done | tee /dev/fd/5) 
0 votes
robhit
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2017

Hi Tobias,

Not sure about the python stuff here, but if you want to store the command output in a variable using shell then:

var=`pwd`
echo $var

This way your variable "var1" will have the output of the command 'pwd' and you can later user this variable.

Deleted user November 15, 2017

Hi Robhit,

Thanks for your reply. Please read my whole post again, I am looking for "live" output. Using the var solution will wait until the command finishes, before printing anything.

Thanks.

I just prefer python over awk to process strings. It doesn't matter for the question.

robhit
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2017

Ok got your requirement, sorry I missed the tty part

So, the error which you are getting is very weird because I tried using the tty in my bamboo but not hitting the same error but printing output to the logs is not working when using "tty /dev/tty" (I will look into this more to debug)

however, as a workaround, I used something like below to redirect the tty output to a temp file and then cat the file. I know it will create an unnecessary file but can't help it as of now need to debug more.

RESULT=$(echo "robhit saxena" | /usr/bin/tee test-file.txt)
cat test-file.txt
new_var=$(echo $RESULT | awk '{print $1}')
echo "new var is: "$new_var

Screenshots for the reference:

Screen Shot 0029-11-16 at 10.46.28 AM.png--------

--------Screen Shot 0029-11-16 at 10.46.14 AM.png------

------

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events