Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to not deploy after time of day or certain day?

Robin Keet March 15, 2017

Is it possible to limit "when" a deployment gets executed?

E.g. we have plans that get triggered by Pull Requests. They get deployed to either staging or production, depending on the branch that was merged (develop/master). 

The plan to staging (develop branch) can deploy whenever merges happen, as it is the staging, and meh. 

To production I want to limit deployments by time and day. No deployments to production (master branch) should be done on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and other days no deployments should be done after 15:00 or before 08:30.

The effect I want to achieve is that if a merge is done to master that it should be queued for the first allowed day after the allowed time. 

E.g. A merge done to the master branch should be queued for Monday 08:30 or when an agent is available.

1 answer

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2017

Unfortunately scheduled deployments are not available yet, though in increasingly high demand - please watch and vote for the following related issues to guide Atlassian's roadmap in this regard:

Robin Keet March 16, 2017

Hi, that is very unfortunate indeed.

However, issue BAM-13517, would that not already be possible if you use a Release branch and/or tags combined with scheduling via the cronjob option? You'd then allow the deployment only on a new Tag (instead of a merge of a Pull Request for example). It would check & deploy this at the cronjob's' scheduled time.

BAM-13819 Would indeed also be nice. 

Next to that would be my issue. I would like deployments to happen as work is approved via merge of Pull Request, but only within the 08:30 to 15:00 window, Monday to Thursday. If Merges happen outside that window, then they would need to be queued for the next available window. 

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2017

There are certainly a couple of alternatives and/or workarounds, though most seem to come with their own constraints in turn, see for example:

The latter specifically mentions a trigger that's based on a tag, and then refers to another issue, though I do not fully understand how this would cover a tag based trigger:

Either way, right now we seem to be stuck with working around the status quo one way or another ...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events