Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to login as Bamboo user on EC2 VM?

Matthew Thomas December 8, 2012

I'm using a Bamboo Amazon EC2 Windows 2008 Server VM for my CI server and I see there is a "Bamboo" user created on the VM and that when Bamboo starts a build, it runs under this user. I would like to be able to RDP to the VM as the Bamboo user so I can perform some set up operations.

I am aware that I can find the Administrator password on the Bamboo website and login as the Administrator, but I want to actually login as the Bamboo user that the builds run under, how can I do that?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2012

Remote login for user Bamboo is disabled for security reasons (we cannot randomise passwords for that user). You can reenable it (but remember to change the password first).

To make that change permanent, you need to create a new image.

Matthew Thomas December 9, 2012

Ok can do, once I change the password on the Bamboo user and create a new AMI, do I need to update the password on the Bamboo website somewhere, in addition to the AMI ID?

I see I can update the AMI ID on the Edit Elastic Image Configuration page, but it makes no mention of the Bamboo VM user or password and I'm not seeing it anywhere else.

Thanks for the help!

1 vote
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2012

No, you don't need to update the password in Bamboo server, it does not use it.

Just make sure you run prepareInstanceForSaving.bat (available on your Bamboo stock image) before saving the image.

Matthew Thomas December 10, 2012

Thanks for following up! I was able to reset the password, run prepareInstanceForSaving.bat and create a new AMI. However, the Elastic Agent on the new AMI never leaves the "Pending" state and is therefore unable to start any builds.

I tried this many times to get it to work with no luck, here's my steps to reproduce:

1. Start Default Image EBS x86_64 (windows) (stock image) VM (ami-976edafe) via Bamboo

2. Login as Administrator

3. Change Bamboo user password

4. Set Ec2SetPassword to Enabled in C:\Program Files\Amazon\Ec2ConfigService\Settings\config.xml

5. Run C:\opt\bamboo-elastic-agent\bin\prepareInstanceForSaving.bat

6. Shutdown VM

7. Create new AMI from VM

8. Update Elastic Image Configuration with new AMI ID

9. Start VM with new AMI.

10. Wait for Elastic Agent status to go Idle

I also tried running prepareInstanceForSaving.bat as the Bamboo user as well.

The agent on the original AMI (ami-976edafe) typically starts after about 10 minutes or so. However, after the steps above, the agent on the new AMI wouldn't start (waited 30 minutes).

Am I missing any steps?

Thanks again!

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2012

Please go through Task Scheduler config steps from here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Creating+a+custom+elastic+image+-+Windows

Maybe you need to set the new password somewhere.

Matthew Thomas December 12, 2012

Updating the Bamboo users password on the scheduled task did the trick, thanks!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events