Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to export Silk Test results in JUNIT format so Bamboo can parse them?

Einar Coutin June 13, 2013

Hi and thank you for creating this community,

In the instructions to install an agent on Bamboo it is indicated that in order for Bamboo to read the test results of any tool the format should be in XML and Follow the JUnit schema. Atlassian offers examples of JUNIT XML files for test suite runs here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/JUnit+parsing+in+Bamboo

I have a couple of questions about genereting files like this on Silk test.

For our current integration purposes the testing automation to integrate with Bamboo when the builds to be tested are launched is done directly on the Silk Test language and is all web browser based. That's one reason why as far I know integrating those test cases into JUnit to directly output the JUNIT XML test results doesn't make much sense.

So far we've found the following about generating XML files via the Silk test tool:

http://microfocus.telligenthosting.net/borland/test/silk_test/w/wiki/20751.generating-xml-version-of-silktest-result-files.aspx

But the first thing you'll notice is that the script generates single individual tests. Hence question 1:

1.-Does Bamboo supports individual tests format. From whatever reasearch I've done, even a single test in JUnit format uses the same tags as a whole test suite:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><testrun name="testRun1" project="unittest" tests="1" started="1" failures="0" errors="0" ignored="0">
  <testsuite name="samsung-gt_i9500-4d00390e75344049" time="0.041">
    <testsuite name="package.ClassName" time="0.042">
      <testcase name="test_Case " classname="package.ClassName" time="0.042"/>
    </testsuite>
  </testsuite>
</testrun>
The second thing I must say is that the solution posted on the microfocus forums runs in a way that generates many XML files for a test suite. That is, one XML file result per test case and many per test suite and for that, it is not in the JUnit format. Of course, one could change the script to generate the tags correctly but I was wondering if a more elegant solution is available that solves two problems.

1.-Generate one XML file per test suite run.
2.-Generate XML on the correct JUnit format that Bamboo supports.

Another option is that Silk Central generates test results in HTML format so.
2.- Is there any way to convert Silk Central's HTML results to JUnit XML format?

Thank You in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Gary Donovan June 13, 2013

HI,

I don't have a solution for generating JUnit format results from Silk. However, it is worth pointing out that the output doesn't need to be in just one XML file - Bamboo can read multiple JUnit files if you specify them using wildcards in the JUnit Parser task.

gary

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events