How to create local admin in Bamboo?

Jinjing January 22, 2015

I searched website. There is no place to tell me how to add a local admin in Bamboo. 

In Bamboo, all the users only show the name, group, email, there is no information about whether they are in which directory.

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2015

Hello Jinjing,

In Bamboo, you have to go to "{{Bamboo administration >> Security >> User repositories}}" and select "{{Local users and groups}}". This will use Users and groups from Bamboo's internal directory.

Please, create all the users you want to have administration rights in Bamboo.

Go back to "{{Bamboo administration >> Security >> User repositories}}" and select "{{Users and groups from JIRA or Crowd}}" to be able to authenticate with Crowd once again.

Now, if you have an issue with Crowd and you are no longer able to authenticate your users against Bamboo, please:

1. stop Bamboo
  2. open up <bamboo-home>/xml-data/configuration/atlassian-user.xml and replace its content with:

&lt;atlassian-user&gt;
        &lt;repositories&gt;
            &lt;hibernate name="Hibernate Repository" key="hibernateRepository" description="Hibernate Repository" cache="true"/&gt;
        &lt;/repositories&gt;
    &lt;/atlassian-user&gt;

This will allow the local users to log in. In case you don't remember the local admin credentials, refer to this page for resetting the admin password.

3. start Bamboo

If you find this answer useful, I would kindly ask you to accept it so the same will be visible to others who might be facing the same issue you have inquired.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico
Atlassian Support

Jinjing January 28, 2015

Thanks! It works great

Ansar Rezaei
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2016

Thank you so much :clap:

1 vote
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2015

Hello Jinjing,

Thank you for your question.

By default, Bamboo uses "bamboo-admin" group to grant administrator privileges to users that belong to this group. In case you want to grant administrator privileges to users from a different group, I would kindly suggest you on referring to the documentation mentioned by Jobin Kuruvilla:

Furthermore, please review Managing permissions documentation for "Controlling access to build plans" and "Controlling access to the Bamboo server".

If you find this answer useful, I would kindly ask you to accept it so the same will be visible to others who might be facing the same issue you have inquired.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico
Atlassian Support

Jinjing January 23, 2015

@Rafael Sperafico Thanks for your answer! We have Crowd connecting all the other applications such as JIRA, Confluence, Stash, Bamboo, Fisheye. All these applications have Crowd as the user management server, and synced from Crowd. The motivation is we need to create local admin for each application, otherwise once Crowd crashed, there is no user could log in the applications. I have been able to created local admin in JIRA, Stash, Confluence successfully in the application internal directory. It seems Fisheye and Bamboo has no place to find the internal directory. I have create local user and add it to bamboo-admin group as described by @Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group]. However, this user was synchronized to Crowd and all the other applications after a while. It didn't happened in all the applications after I added local admin users successfully. I am not sure if this means this 'local' user is also authenticated through Crowd. I cannot test if this user could log in when the Crowd crashed

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2015

Local users shouldn't flow to Crowd. Are you sure it is not a duplicate user coming to Crowd via LDAP or one in Crowd internal directory itself?

Jinjing January 23, 2015

@Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group] I am sure it is the same user I added through Bamboo, it synchronized into Crowd, and all the other applications connecting to Crowd.

0 votes
Mitch Gann July 19, 2017

Im having the same problem but the action of selecting local users and groups and hitting Save as the first answer states "In Bamboo, you have to go to "{{Bamboo administration >> Security >> User repositories}}" and select "{{Local users and groups}}". This will use Users and groups from Bamboo's internal directory." 

It will immediately log you out and lock you out of Bamboo.  Then your screwed because you cant login via your external LDAP integration (because its not being used) and you cannot login via internal authentication as admin (because proposedly thats what your trying to do in your initial question anyway)

Christina Ferreri February 14, 2018

I just did this. How do you recover? Is there a way to set the database back?

Mitch Gann February 21, 2018
0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2015
Jinjing January 22, 2015

I want to create Local Admin, not granting permissions to an existing user.

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2015

Create a user and make him an admin! That will be a local admin. There is only one root user, if you are referring to the admin user you created while deploying bamboo.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events