How to configure multiple agents on a single EC2 instance

Jensen Somers April 21, 2016

I currently have a single remote agent license which runs on a Windows EC2 instance. I used the stock Atlassian AMI which I configured to my liking. 

I would like to upgrade my license to include more remote agents, but I'm unsure how I can configure them on my existing EC2 instance. Is it possible to host additional remote agents on that Windows EC2 instance? I couldn't really find any useful information on the wiki.

Or is it only possible to use this with multiple EC2 instances?

1 answer

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2016

It's certainly possible - I've ran 5000 remote agents across 50 beefy EC2 instances with a 100 remote agents on each instance. You only need to provide them with a separate home directory via the -Dbamboo.home=XXXXX on the command line.

Jensen Somers April 21, 2016

But I'm running in Windows. I have no command line. All I could find are some bat files and a startup task.

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2016

What I've said applies only to remote agents. You can't run multiple elastic agents on a single EC2 instance. You'd have to prepare an image that starts these agents.

Jensen Somers April 24, 2016

So that means that, if I upgrade my Cloud subscription to include more agents, I also need additional virtual machines? (Which makes it quite expensive.)

That's the part that has been unclear to me.

Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
April 24, 2016

Well, yes and no. If you want automated instance management, it sets up each agent on a separate EC2 instance. However, since December last year, you can use remote agents with Bamboo Cloud - this option is more flexible and you can have multiple agents per EC2 instance - but Bamboo will no longer automatically manage the instance lifecycle.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events