Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure Maven Repository with Bamboo onDemand

Benoit Xhenseval March 26, 2012

Dear Support

I am new to AWS and Bamboo, I have been advised at the London Atlassian Unite conference to post my question here.

Could you recommend the best way to configure Bambook on-Demand to work with a Maven 3 build?

Namely, how could I avoid repeat downloads of the maven 2 repository each time the Elastic Instance is restarted? (it download the repository to a local disk)

I would like to be able to switch off any elastic instance whenever there are no build to perform (cost saving).

Where should the M2 repository be located?

Should we be using a tailored AWS image with most m2 repository pre-downloaded/installed? How can I do this (precisely...)?

Could we mount a device on the instance to have that local repo?

Should we be running a Sonatype Nexus instance in another images? How to link them? or should it be on a tailored instance?

Any pointer, blog, article, manual, experience / help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Benoit

1 answer

1 vote
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2012

Namely, how could I avoid repeat downloads of the maven 2 repository each time the Elastic Instance is restarted? (it download the repository to a local disk)

You should store your preloaded repository on EBS and copy it to appropriate location during instance setup (or change the Maven repository location to EBS in repository.xml). You don't need to customise the base image for that, just use the stock one.

I would like to be able to switch off any elastic instance whenever there are no build to perform (cost saving).

Idle instances are automatically killed by Bamboo when the next paid hour approaches.

Where should the M2 repository be located?

The best way/fastest way is to keep it on the EBS. That's how we configure our instances at Atlassian.

Should we be using a tailored AWS image with most m2 repository pre-downloaded/installed? How can I do this (precisely...)?

The instructions for creating your EBS are here: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Configuring+Elastic+Instances+to+use+the+EBS

Could we mount a device on the instance to have that local repo?

Yes, you can put any setup script you want on the EBS. The scripts are run as root so you can create/attach volumes and mount devices.

Should we be running a Sonatype Nexus instance in another images? How to link them? or should it be on a tailored instance?

You could run Nexus in the cloud, I guess. Linking: the address to Nexus would have to be kept on the EBS. If you're planning on having multiple instances running, you should have a dedicated instance for that. At Atlassian, we host our repository off-cloud, the cloud contains only the agents. Maven repo has to be available all the time, so it's not cost effective to keep it on the cloud, but it can be done. Agents, on the other hand, are needed only when there's something to build, so the amount of needed instances fluctuates throughout the day.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events