How to clone bamboo instance to dev and adjust application links properly

Jim Sellers January 20, 2015

Hello.

We have a mirrored env where we test tool upgrades (bamboo, stash, etc). If our production host is example.com, then the dev env's host is exampledev.com.

What we have done in the past is export bamboo, unzip the file and find / replace all example.com with exampledev.com, then rezip the file and import it into our dev host. This allows us to make sure that dev is as close as possible to production (and pointing at stash dev). We also mirror stash repos from our prod stash instance to dev using the api and a bit of git cloning.

We recently changed bamboo to use application links rather than repo urls that contained variables. Bamboo doesn't like it after the find / replace all.

How should we import into the dev instance and change the plans to point to stash dev?

Thanks for your time

JIm

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2015

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your question.

Please, recreate the application link between Bamboo and Stash (to point to your dev instances) and update the repositories in Bamboo, making sure they are pointing to the correct Stash instance (which seems to be dev). This will be the safes approach.

Since you have moved to application links, all the communication between Bamboo and Stash will run through this linkage so only updating the repository URL will not be enough, I am afraid.

If you find this answer useful, I would kindly ask you to accept it so the same will be visible to others who might be facing the same issue you have inquired.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico
Atlassian Support

0 votes
Jim Sellers January 27, 2015

I'm accepting the answer because that's the best that I've got right now.

I've kept our current possibly-unsafe clone, but rather than manually than update the ~ 500 builds and the 100's of branches I wrote a Selenium script to open each plan / branch, wait for the js to finish loading, and then press save.

It's not ideal, but it's good enough for now.

Rafael thanks for letting me know that I wasn't missing something else.

0 votes
Jim Sellers January 20, 2015

Hi Rafael

While it wouldn't be too much work to re-create the app link, it would be a lot to update the ~ 500 build plans.

Taking a quick look at the REST api, I can't see any way to script updating the repos config on plans either.

Is there a way that's less safe that doesn't involve a day+ of work each time we'd want to do this?

Thanks for your time,

Jim

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events