How to auto-start bamboo on redhat linux?

David Shapiro February 9, 2014

I attempted to start using upstart, but that evolved into a nightmare. Nothing seems to work to get it to see the right pid. Even using expect daemon option still does not get the right pid, so upstart ends up with a pid that does not even exist (by the way, I had some process to try to reap that fake pid to clear upstart status up, but that only works sometimes). Anyway, what is the ideal way to start automatically bamboo? No /wrapper folder exists that I can find that is mentioned in some articles, the bamboo.sh does not work anymore (warns you not to use), and the stop-bamboo.sh and start-bamboo.sh work weird--in that, stop-bamboo.sh fails the first time you run it, but works if you run it again. Do we use old fashion init.d stuff? chkconfig? upstart with a working conf file (what is that conf file)?

4 answers

0 votes
David Shapiro February 25, 2014

I had no great answer on my issue. We use the bundle. That is our solution choice. I was just looking for the best way to start/stop the application in Linux as there are so many ways now to do so. The only thing I could see is that you need to put a sleep in after sending a stop request before you can start again (i.e., doing a restart). I saw no good way to use upstart that I could figure out, which is what I was hoping to use.

0 votes
Steve Gerstner [bridgingIT]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2014

Why don't you use the default tomcat from redhat and deploy the EAR/WAR-Edition on that tomcat?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO044/Bamboo+EAR-WAR+installation+guide

Why would I do that? It is much easier to use their standalone product that bundles the Tomcat and the application together. My only question is what is the best way to start up bamboo when the Linux server restarts.

Steve Gerstner [bridgingIT]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2014

because you get securityfixes/updates for your tomcat and you get a functioning environment

0 votes

This seems to be an issue if you try to stop before it has completely started. I had to put a sleep 90 after the start command to give it time to startup.

0 votes

When I say stop-bamboo.sh fails. I see java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused the first time I run it and ps -ef shows it is still running. I did wait to see if it goes away, but it never does. If I run stop-bamboo.sh again, it does seem to work the second time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events