Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is bamboo agent selected from all agent?

Lei P March 8, 2018

Hey, 

We have a question. 

How is bamboo agent selected? What is the algorithm behind this. 

Asking cause we ran into some issues that several agents were selected on the same host, this cause a lot of resource congestion. 

Is there a way to make agent selection smarter? e.g. Select the agent with less io/cpu/memory usage. 

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2018

Each agent has a defined set of capabilites and can only run builds for jobs whose requirements match the agent's capabilities. Together, capabilities and requirements control which agents can execute builds for particular jobs. If there is a match agent can execute the job, if not then job will not be executed since no agent will be available to cover that.

More info:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/agents-and-capabilities-289277114.html

Lei P March 8, 2018

Thanks, Mirek

I know the 'capabilites' but what I am asking is 'capacity' 

Does bamboo consider agent's capacity? as I mentioned above, we are use remote agent, there could be multiple remote agents located on one remote host. If a lot of remote agents which from same hosts were selected, then the JOB could be running really long. 

Is there a smart way to assign agent based on host resource? 

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2018

Yeah, but maybe if you add custom capability, as a simple key <-> value for the hardware defining high/medium/low performance servers you can maybe not dynamically, but execute more demanding jobs on better/faster machines, so that it would not be busy for other stuff.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events