How do I set capability requirements for deployment tasks?

William Brown July 23, 2013

I see "# agents have the capabilities to run this deployment" and in the Agents page for the environment it says "If you do not assign an agent to this deployment, one will be chosen at run time according to standard requirement/capability mappings." Yet, there does not seem to be a way to set the requirements for a deployment. This is a problem because not all of our connected agents are capable of deploying. Using the option to dedicate agent to an environment is totally infeasable because it's a huge waste of an agent license ("NOTE: By adding an agent to this list, it will no longer execute any build jobs.").

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2013

Hi William,

Yes this is currently a limitation where there is no an explicit waay to define deployment requirements. we have an open feature request at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-13499 which is currently within our radar. Please add your self as a watcher for updates.

Regards,

Sultan

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2016

The ticket is resolved in version 5.13

1 vote
Deleted user July 27, 2015

Hi,
I'm irritated by the fact that a core feature (defining requirements) is not implemented the way it's done in build plans?

Deployment projects should be able to adopt the requirements of the build plan OR at least check the capabilities of the agent? The latter does not work as well.

Any chance this will be fixed?

Regards,
Bernhard

1 vote
Jean-Christophe Garnier April 16, 2014

Hi,

I went through the same "missing feature" lately and I was wondering what were your plans regarding it?

I see the issue has a minor priority, do you know when you will deliver it?

Thanks

Jc

0 votes
greganth September 14, 2016

To solve this problem, I added an Executable Capability of the type Command to my targeted build servers (only they have this capability).

The command is a simple shell script which echos out "I'm special" smile

Then on any CI or CD job, you can add a Command task which runs this command. This causes Bamboo to identify this as a requirement for the job which only certain build servers meet.

This works on the hosted or cloudy versions of Bamboo.

0 votes
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2016

The functionality has been added to Bamboo in version 5.13 

0 votes
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
August 25, 2015

There is a plugin that achieves this: Requirement for Deployments. Obviously this will only be helpful for self-hosted Bamboo instances (not Bamboo Cloud, where plugins cannot be installed).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events