Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I detect deployment completion?

Clay Harris February 23, 2016

So obviously, its easy enough to figure out when the bamboo deployment task is complete, but unfortunately that does not mean my app has fully started when that happens.

I have an app that builds on bamboo, gets deployed to a server (via scp then ssh to start the service).  Once the ssh start command completes, as far as bamboo is concerned, deployment is complete.  However, I have a test suite I want to run against it once it's deployed, and it's not yet ready if I try to run it in a deployment project triggered by the service deployment project.

What's the best way to handle this?  Should I add a task to the deployment that pings an endpoint until it gets a valid response (with a timeout), so that the deployment doesn't show as complete until it's actually up?  Should my test deployment do the pinging instead?  Is there a better solution I'm completely missing?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2016

Hello @ Clay Harris,

You mentioned correct solution - add script task to ping your deployed application to confirm it started. It will also allow you to mark deployment as failed if application can't start in given period of time

Clay Harris February 24, 2016

Thanks.  We were sure there had to be a better way, but this works

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events