How do I autodetect capabilities on a Bamboo Remote Slave?

Richard Cross February 12, 2015

In the Capabilities section, it is very easy to get the Bamboo server to auto-detect capabilities, but in a massive build environment, where you have dozens of slaves - how do you get them to auto-detect their own capabilities?

3 answers

0 votes
Ondra Medek October 4, 2017

If you your machine installations are similar, you can define own bamboo-capabilities.properties see https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/configuring-remote-agent-capabilities-using-bamboo-capabilities-properties-289276849.html

You can also make own script autodetecting SW and creating bamboo-capabilities.properties the if your installations differ.

0 votes

Can you provide a list of which environment variables the remote agent uses, and any other places it searches?

For example, the main Bamboo server has auto-detected Oracle JDK installed at /usr/java/latest (which points to /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_65); however, when I added

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/latest

to ~bamboo/.bashrc on the remote host and restarted the Bamboo Agent, the capabilities screen does not report this.

UPDATE:  Additionally, in the bamboo agent log, I see this:

[Jdk] Environment variable JAVA_HOME does not point to valid JDK
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2015

Hello Richard, Thank you for your update. What happens when you run "which java" from terminal? Does the same outputs "/usr/java/latest/bin/java" ? Have you updated .bashrc by reloading it after changes being made? (ie.: source ~bamboo/.bashrc) — Kind regards, Rafael P. Sperafico Atlassian Support

Yes, I have done all of the above. When I run which java, it resolves as /usr/java/latest/bin/java

0 votes
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2015

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your question.

There are some capabilities will be picked up when you start the remote agent (by looking at the environment variables you have set up in the remote agent box, i.e.: M2_HOME) and others that you have to add manually.

If you find this answer useful, I would kindly ask you to accept it so the same will be visible to others who might be facing the same issue you have inquired.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico
Atlassian Support

sbloomquist July 23, 2015

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Bamboo+Best+Practice+-+Using+Agents#BambooBestPractice-UsingAgents-Unknowncapabilities That doc says that it should be possible to trigger a detection via: Bamboo admin > Agents > ${AGENT} > Detect Server Capabilities But that doesn't seem to be the case. The Bamboozled Ruby Plugin -- https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.alienfast.bamboozled.ruby.bamboozled-ruby-plugin -- requires auto detection in order to find the ruby runtime capability. Is it a bug that the "Detect Server Capabilities" option is no longer available?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events