Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I debug high CPU utilization on my remote agent?

Dan Rumney November 25, 2014

I have a remote agent running on an EC2 box that is consuming vast amounts of resources, even when idle

This is the top output.

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                                                                                                                                     
11808 ec2-user  20   0 6251m 1.6g  18m S 201.2 11.0  22726:39 /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_60/jre/bin/java -Xms512m -Xmx3096m -XX:PermSize=384m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -jar /home/ec2-user/bamboo-agent-home/xml-data/build-dir/PEPPER-PBT517-BPC/pep

When I disable it, it doesn't go down.

When I request it to stop, vi the UI, it does not seem to want to stop.

The agent logs are not showing any errors.

I stopped the agent and noticed that the job was still there. I'm hypothesizing that this is actually an orphaned build that just got lost in the mix somehow. Is there any way I can confirm this? Has anyone seen this before?

2 answers

0 votes
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2014

Dan

It looks like your job PEPPER-PBT-BPC is running some processes in the background and doesn't kill them. You should go over your job configuration and see what could cause this.

If you use your own instance of Bamboo (not the Atlassian Cloud offering) you might want to check this plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.bamboo.plugin.bamboo-predator-plugin 

Richard Cross February 17, 2016

If only this plugin were available for Bamboo 5.10!  I also have an issue with just one Bamboo Agent that is consuming all available CPU, constantly, even though it's not building anything. 

0 votes
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 25, 2014

The most likely reason is either a memory leak or your build logging a lot and the agent not being able to keep up. If you're able to, have a look at the heap dump from that agent.

BTW, using elastic agents is a lot better way of using EC2 in conjuction with Bamboo.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events