Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can Bamboo Plan Spread Unit Tests across multiple systems?

Peter Kahn July 30, 2012

Hi all,

I have a maven build on x64lin/x64win with compilation/packaging taking about 45m and tests an additional 2-3 hours. I'd like to be like Atlassian's jira team and improve speed by spreading the tests across multiple systems.

What's options does bamboo provide for this kind of thing? Would I break my "build" into steps with one plan per step or is there something more elegant?

I'm using bamboo 2.6.1 and plan to upgrade to most recent. In 2.6.1, many individual plans managed by hand or a script seems the only option. I'd like to have something like quickbuild's cascading configurations where I'd define a top level workflow of steps and then override parts in per branch builds (much like how maven configurations work).

How do you handle complex builds that involve steps across many systems

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2012

With newer Bamboo version, you have Stages and Jobs. With Stages, you can create sequential steps. Within a Stage, you have multiple Jobs that execute in paralllel. For example, you could have a packaging stage and then use the packaged artifact in a couple of Jobs that would run in parallel.

The simplest setup will involve splitting your UTs into several Jobs. JIRA team uses a much more complicated setup - but you will need to restructure your tests anyway.

Peter Kahn July 31, 2012

Thanks, now it's time accelerate my upgrade plans

0 votes
Thomas Bachmann January 30, 2014

Does this work out of the box with Bamboo On-Demand or do I need to enable parallel Job execution somewhere?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events