Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First bamboo user not an admin

cricket April 21, 2015

Having spent only an hour or two with the product, I have to say I'm frustrated to be making my first visit here and I've only got through the Setup Wizard! Is it going to get better?

Anyways, I've gotten past the Setup Wizard and created a local user account. Only problem is that it's a bamboo-users account and not a bamboo-admin account, so I basically can't do anything. There's a button for Contact Administrator and clicking it brings me to a list of one user: me.

What's the next step?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2015

Hello Cricket,

I am sorry for hearing you were experiencing issues with Bamboo.

Since you "just ran it and went through the setup assistant" it might be the case were you are running HSQLDB (file based database system) - Express installation - and for some reason the installation didn't complete as expected, I am afraid.

Please, refer to Bamboo installation guide documentation and please give another try on reinstalling Bamboo as it is a great CI tool and a vast amount of peoples uses it on a daily basis.

In case you continue on experiencing issues, I would kindly ask you to raise a support request on https://support.atlassian.com and the investigation to the issue raised will continue from there.

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico
Atlassian Support

1 vote
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2015

Hello Cricket,

Thank you for your question.

When running the Bamboo setup wizard, you had to create a user account, otherwise the installation does not get complete. Anyways, if you go to the database used while setting up Bamboo and run the following query, you will notice the first entry is the user created while setting up Bamboo.

select * from users;

Please, refer to Restoring passwords to recover admin users to retrieve admin's user password in case you have forgotten the password.

By default, an administrator in Bamboo belongs to "bamboo-admin" group and while installing Bamboo, the user create through the setup wizard will belong to this group.

As you have mentioned, you have "past the Setup Wizard and created a local user account". In order to create a user, you should have been logged in as administrator in Bamboo and hit "Bamboo administration >> Security >> Users. In there, you should have selected "bamboo-users" group to the user created instead of the "bamboo-admin" group.

Please, log back in with the administrator user and add the created user to the "bamboo-admin" group. Please, refer to Managing groups documentation for further information.

Alternatively, please refer to Managing permissions documentation where you will learn how to grant permission to user(s) and/or group(s) in Bamboo.

If you find this answer useful, I would kindly ask you to accept it so the same will be visible to others who might be facing the same issue you have inquired.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico
Atlassian Support

0 votes
cricket April 22, 2015

I started from scratch and I got an admin user this time. I'm having SCM issues now, but that's not for this ticket and I hope I can figure them out on my own.

Thanks.

0 votes
cricket April 21, 2015

I looked at the recovery page and given I only have one user (for which I have no trouble logging into), there's no password to recover. There is only one account total, the non-admin account that was created at the end of the setup assistant.

I can't manage groups or permissions because I'm not an admin.

I don't know what database was used when I set up bamboo. I just ran it and went through the setup assistant. I wasn't really expecting to need to dig into SQL databases to even get started.

I guess I'll try on another machine and see how far I get.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events