Firefox no longer installing on Elastic Bamboo Linux AMI

Robert Watkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

I'm trying to set up my Elastic Bamboo agents for Selenium, as per the instructions at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Populating+your+EBS+volume#PopulatingyourEBSvolume-SettingupSeleniumonelasticagents

The instructions don't work anymore (though I see they did as recently as early January - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/120632/setting-up-selenium-on-bamboo-ondemand). I'm getting errors on the step for installing Firefox.

[root@ip-10-245-59-249 ~]# yum -y --enablerepo=centos-base install firefox
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, security, update-motd
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * amzn-main: packages.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
 * amzn-updates: packages.us-east-1.amazonaws.com
 * centos-base: mirror.trouble-free.net
centos-base                                                                                                             | 1.1 kB     00:00     
centos-base/primary                                                                                                     | 983 kB     00:00     
centos-base                                                                                                                          2770/2770
1293 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package firefox.i386 0:10.0.11-1.el5.centos will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: xulrunner >= 10.0.11-1 for package: firefox-10.0.11-1.el5.centos.i386
Package liberation-fonts is obsoleted by liberation-fonts-common, but obsoleting package does not provide for requirements
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: xulrunner-10.0.11-1.el5_8.i386 (centos-base)
           Requires: liberation-fonts
           Available: liberation-fonts-1.0-1.el5.noarch (centos-base)
               liberation-fonts = 1.0-1.el5
           Requires: nspr >= 4.8.9
           Installed: nspr-4.8.8-1.11.amzn1.i686 (@amzn-updates)
               nspr = 4.8.8-1.11.amzn1
           Available: nspr-4.8.7-1.10.amzn1.i686 (amzn-main)
               nspr = 4.8.7-1.10.amzn1
           Requires: nss >= 3.13.1
           Installed: nss-3.12.10-2.23.amzn1.i686 (@amzn-updates)
               nss = 3.12.10-2.23.amzn1
           Available: nss-3.12.9-12.22.amzn1.i686 (amzn-main)
               nss = 3.12.9-12.22.amzn1
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Looking at the earlier question, it appears that the instructions worked for Firefox 3.6, but that has been removed from the Centos mirrors.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2013

Internally, we use https://maven.atlassian.com/content/groups/public/com/atlassian/browsers/

I've updated the setup script with your change (and also included pango and dbus-glib libraries).

Alternatively, I could provide you with an Ubuntu image with content matching the standard Amazon Linux images if you want.

Robert Watkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2013

Michael,

The maven artefacts mentioned allow you to pull down pre-built & packaged browsers. You then unzip them and run them.

Michael Averto August 8, 2013

Robert, thanks for the help. I apologize if I'm missing something but shouldn't I be able to then add this to my POM.xml as a dependency?

I'm running into an issue with

<dependency>
    <groupId>com.atlassian.browsers</groupId>
	<artifactId>firefox</artifactId>
	<version>21.0</version>
</dependency>

as I can't resolve the -linux at the end of the filename with the above as it would yield:

https://maven.atlassian.com/content/groups/public/com/atlassian/browsers/firefox/21.0/firefox-21.0.jar

instead of:

https://maven.atlassian.com/content/groups/public/com/atlassian/browsers/firefox/21.0/firefox-21.0-linux.jar

Robert Watkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2013

I just downloaded it by hand and added it to my image setup script.

If you're going to use a POM, you can probably do it with a classifier:

<dependency>
    <groupId>com.atlassian.browsers</groupId>
    <artifactId>firefox</artifactId>
    <version>21.0</version>
    <classifier>linux</classifier>
</dependency>
0 votes
Robert Watkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

Okay, I figured it out. Centos 5.9 was released on January 18, and it has the newer version of Firefox that won't install cleanly.

Using the instructions mentioned earlier, but changing the CentOS version to this:

centosMajorVersion=5
centosMinorVersion=8
centosVersion=${centosMajorVersion}.${centosMinorVersion}

meant I could install Firefox 3.6.

Which leaves the question: how do you install Firefox 10?

Robert Watkins
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2013

Note that as of March 8, the Centos mirror list doesn't provide a mirror for Centos 5.8 anymore.

So that goes back to the underlying problem of how do you install the support libraries that Firefox needs on the base AMI used by Bamboo?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events