Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature branch only runs tests, Master branch deploys.

Ryan Knopp January 18, 2016

So currently I have the master branch build, run tests, and deploy to an outside server.   I want to have feature branches just to build and run tests.  Can this be done with one plan?  Looks to me I would need two plans to do this.  One for master deployment on the master branch, and the other just to run tests.  Is this correct?  

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2016

Different branches on a plan are for building different branches from your source control, but still have the same stages, jobs, and tasks.  So yes, you would have to break this up.

Typically, at least the way we do it, you would have one Build Plan that does your building and testing and another Deploy Plan (which is a whole other type of plan in Bamboo) that does your deployment steps. 

Ryan Knopp January 18, 2016

So then on the feature branches I can then turn off master branch some way, since the tests will run on deployment?  

Or do I have a test plan that does test on all branches then the deployment plan executes on master when the test plan finishes on master?  

Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2016

I'd do it that second way.  Use the build plan to build and test all branches, whether feature or master.  And then use the deploy plan only to deploy master.  A deployment plan is linked to your build plan, so it deploys the results of a specific build.

0 votes
VikasB July 19, 2016

You can use Cucumber For Bamboo plugin. This plugin adds Cucumber parsers in Build as well ad Deployment plans. It provides options to pass or fail build if any test is failed or based on failure threshold or can just print test results in Log without affecting deployment status.
The plugin also adds new UI elements to display deployment tests, Cucumbers results and pie chart of tests. It also has features to automatically link tests with JIRA issues.
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.mdb.plugins.cucumberforbamboo/server/overview

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events