Failing on the master branch instead of failing on the feature branch

Olu Rasaq August 23, 2017

Sorry,  I'm so new to bamboo, our bamboo plan was setup to run on different branches, Named BatchA (124 tests)BatchB(100 tests) etc and of course, we got master  which contains all our tests (301 tests), 

I made changes to tests on BatchA branch and i checked it into git then went to Bamboo point to BatchA to execute tests to see if everything is fine before i push it to master, after the test finished some of the test failed and showing status 'Failing on the master branch' which is not what i'm expecting as i'm on BatchA branch. Below is the screenshot,

My question is why is it showing 'Failing on the master branch when i'm running on BatchA, i'm expecting 'Failing on the BatchA branch. how can i make sure the bamboo is running tests on the BatchA not master. Thanks very much. 

bambooscreen1.PNG

1 answer

2 votes
Grzegorz Lewandowski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2017

This information bascially states that given test also fails on a master branch. 

The background on this issue is that, when you create branch from a master which has failing tests, your branch is going to have them as well, thus Bamboo indicate that those failures might origin from master

@Grzegorz Lewandowski; thanks for the swift response. 

Okay. but does it mean that the test failing on master would not pass on a branch (BatchA) created from the master when the failure already fixed on the branch, because i fixed the test that was failing before and it passed in my IDE but failed on Bamboo. 

I'm now wondering if that's why is failing as the fixed is not in master yet? only on branch BatchA. Thanks 

Grzegorz Lewandowski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2017

TBH, I have troubles understanding your question but generally speaking:

* If test is listed on test failures, it means Bamboo detected a failed test and reports it on given branch, within given plan run. It doesn't matter if the test is running sucessfully on your local machine, it failed on Bamboo agent. 

* When Bamboo states the test "fails on master branch", it's just an indication that Bamboo detected the same test failed on master branch.

If you had failing test, created a branch, fixed it locally on a branch, pushed to repository and Bamboo states it's failing a that branch, it means the test failed on Bamboo agent again. It doesn't matter it was green on your local machine. 

@Grzegorz Lewandowski. sorry for the troubles and thanks for your response. 

* When Bamboo states the test "fails on master branch", it's just an indication that Bamboo detected the same test failed on master branch

Okay, Based on your above answer, does it mean that when i run tests on branch created it running master tests at the same time, or the test report showing 'Failing on the master branch' is the old tests report? is that make sense? 

I really want to be sure that Bamboo is running tests on branch created not master and clear test reports from branch created not master. 

Thanks 

Grzegorz Lewandowski
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2017

Bamboo as any other CI is just a tool which runs the cofinguration you asked it to.  So I believe on branch A Bamboo executes test which are on branch A, unless obviously you have some scripts whith change this behaviour. 

I assuming you don't, thus Bamboo on branch 'batchA' builds code on 'batchA' and on branch 'master' builds code comming from 'master' branch. 

Olu Rasaq August 29, 2017

@Grzegorz Lewandowski. Okay, thanks very much for your answers. very helpful. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events