Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expose EC2 instance metadata in Bamboo build

Tim Kral December 2, 2015

I'm using Bamboo cloud to run a maven build on an EC2 instance.

Some of the tests require the local ip address of the instance. Of course, I can hard code that as either an environment variable or a system property in my build plan. However, this doesn't work well if the instance were to crash.

Luckily, Amazon provides the metadata service that allows me to get this value dynamically from any EC2 instance:

/usr/bin/curl http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/local-ipv4

So essentially, I just want to execute that one line and place the resulting value in either an environment variable or a system property that can be used within my build plan.

I've read the Bamboo documentation up and down and tried several approaches (setting global variable, exporting environment variable in instance startup script, setting Maven environment variable in build plan, executing a script task), but none of them have worked.

Is there a way to do this that I'm missing?

1 answer

1 vote
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2015

You can create a script task that will output the required data into a file and then use the variable inject task to feed them into Bamboo.

Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2015

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events