Elastic Agent Stuck in Pending

Ruben Jimenez November 19, 2014

My elastic bamboo instance is stuck in the pending state and never seems to proceed until it is eventually just shut down.  I'm using the image "Ubuntu: EBS x86_64 (linux) (stock image)" AMI id is ami-5be8f232.  I can start the instance without issues if I don't use a startup script but when I add the following as my startup script it just hangs on the agent startup step.

Startup Script:

apt-get install rubygems
gem install compass

If started normally I'm able to ssh to the instance and run these commands using sudo without any issues so there should be no issues with the ability to execute these.  I've also tried changing the startup script to include sudo as part of the commands, but that doesn't work either.

I've tried connecting to the running instance to check for logs and can't seem to find anything to help me debug the issue.  Where should I be looking for logs?  Also any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong here?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Przemek Bruski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2014

Redirect the output from these to files and see what they're trying to tell you. Also run apt-get with the '-y' switch

Ruben Jimenez November 20, 2014

Thanks the -y option solved it for me. To debug it I changed my script to be: apt-get -y install rubygems > /tmp/log.txt gem install compass >> /tmp/log.txt I then ssh'd to the machine to look at the log file as the agent was starting up. Without the -y option it was stuck waiting for a response to a question.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events