Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBS Snapshot Attached To Default Windows Elastic Bamboo Instance

Jeremy Switzer June 18, 2013

I followed the instructions here for creating an EBS Snapshot that attaches to a Default Bamboo Linux AMI and installs all the extra libraries I need at boot-up. It works great. I am trying to accomplish something similar for the Default Windows AMI, but I can't quite figure out how to get it done.

I remoted on to the running instance and found a similar set of scripts at:

C:\opt\bamboo-elastic-agent\bin

Attempting to run them in Cygwin (or Git Bash) was a failure, so I'm assuming they are not meant to be run in a similar fashion.

So I guess my question is: How do install extra libraries and software during the Windows Elastic Image startup without having to create (and maintain) my own custom AMI for windows?

Update:

So Bamboo 5.0 is on OnDemand now. I started a new Default Windows Image and attempted similiar steps to the ones mentioned above, but it still seems that those scripts are not working yet again.

Perhaps I read a little too much into the "EBS Volumes will be supported in Bamboo 5.0" comments everywhere and assumed that meant an equivalent scripting process to the one on Linux AMIs, but so far I don't really see a difference in the way Windows Elastic Instances are handled in this new version.

If it is indeed possible to create and mount an EBS Snapshot to my Windows AMI and have it kick of a script that could install a few things and do some slight configuration, I would love to see some documentation on how to do so.

If not, I would accept an answer that allows me to accomplish the goal of installing extra software on a windows instance without having to create a new AMI every time I want to make a change.

2 answers

0 votes
Kristen Byers May 15, 2014

I basically have the same question. Since this question is almost a year old, I'm wondering if anyone has successfully done this: installing extra software on a default elastic Windows instance.

Based on my many hours of searching for answers it doesn't appear that the instance startup script will run successfully on Windows, nor does it appear that you can attach a custom EBS volume to the default Windows Bamboo image.

I'm hoping that I don't have to create a brand-new custom image as instructed here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BAMBOO/Creating+a+custom+elastic+image+-+Windows but I'm beginning to think I will.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

0 votes
Jeremy Switzer June 18, 2013

OK, just found this, which sort of answers my question. Sorry.

Side note: you guys may need to tweak your search engine on this site. Searching [bamboo-ondemand] windows should have given me that as a result.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events