Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the "polling repo" Build strategy actually perform a pull?

Chris Ramakers August 28, 2012

I'm wondering, if i've selected the "Polling repository for changes" Build strategy in a Plan, do I still need to update my repo (git pull) in a step in my Jobs or has the Plan already done that for me since it has polled for changes?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2012

Hello Chris,

Yes, you still need to update your repo (usually this is done by "Source Checkout Task") in a step in your Job. Polling is not enough.

However, you're right that "Polling repository for changes" is internally fetching remote git repo to the Bamboo server. But that internal repository is not automatically pushed down to the Job's working directory during build execution. Only by "Source Checkout Task" (or by manually crafted "Script Task" equivalent) the Job's working directory can be populated with the proper git repository and actual 'git checkout' can occur.

0 votes
Chris Ramakers August 29, 2012

Yes it is, and it's that what i'm wondering, does it need that step? Isn't polling for changes also pulling in the changes?

0 votes
PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2012

Hello ChrisR,

Is your build plan using "Source Checkout Task" to retrieve sources from your git repo?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events