Disk space required by Bamboo keeps growing -> any way to manage this?

Brian King January 22, 2013

We found recently that our Bamboo installation was reaching the limits of it's disk space.

I have build expiry running nightly (keep builds for 1 week, minimum of 6), and this seems to clear up a few GB when run, but however this extra space disappeared very quickly after a few builds had been run. In practice, build expiry was running nightly, and any space that had been recovered was lost again by the morning.

On further investigation I found that the D: bamboo-home xml-data build-dir directory was massive (~20GB) and it wasn't being reduced when build expiry ran. I copied this directory elsewhere, and confirmed that Bamboo was functioning correctly without it, and am planning on deleting these files.

Is it safe for me to be deleting the D: bamboo-home xml-data build-dir directory?

Is there some in-built job in Bamboo that can manage the size of this? Some cleanup tool?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sultan Maiyaki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

Can you navigate to the miscellaneous tab of your job configurations and check the option Clean working directory after each build. This will clear the local copy of the repository available at<tt>D:\bamboo-home\xml-data\build-dir</tt> before each build. Please note that this may increase the time taken to run a build but will save space

IS April 22, 2014

How can this be set by default for all new job configurations, preserving build artifacts?

Kyle Varga June 2, 2014

I am also looking for this. Is there a way to set as default?

ChadB August 24, 2014

Same for me, is there a way to set this as default or have it set in Bulk edit rather than going thru 300 different build jobs?

Patrick Schneider October 28, 2014

Is it save to manually delete the .svn / .git directories within build-dir\... ?

Richard Cross February 19, 2015

If you clean the working directory after the build, you lose any ability to properly troubleshoot a failed build. There must be a better solution than this, such as build history retention, artefact retention, configurable per plan/job

Richard Cross March 17, 2015

Additionally, the above suggestion does not get rid of old build logs or archived artifacts... which ins some cases are the real cause of disk space issues.

Phil Rittenhouse August 12, 2016

you lose any ability to properly troubleshoot a failed build

Agreed.  Is there not an open feature request already to resolve this?  If not I'll file a support ticket. 

It should be as simple as removing working directories older than N days, or keeping the last N working directories for a given plan.

Phil Rittenhouse March 7, 2017

See feature request BAM-13589 and vote for it

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events