Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between local and remote bamboo agents?

haani November 4, 2015

The documentation says "Local agents actually run as part of the Bamboo server. Local agents run in the server's process, i.e. run as separate threads in the same JVM as the Bamboo server."

What I am not clearly seeing defined is does this mean if you have unlimited local agents, you can run as many (different) plans  in parallel as you want? (assuming you meet the system requirements)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mibex_Software
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2015

Hi,

You can run as many jobs in parallel as your server can handle in terms of memory/CPU when you are using local agents.

If you really want to scale, you are probably better of with using remote agents. But note that the number of remote agents is restricted by your chosen Bamboo license type.

Best regards,

Michael

Mibex_Software
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2015

Also have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/bamboo-best-practice-system-requirements-388401170.html where Atlassian recommends the usage of remote agents already for medium-sized teams with medium concurrency needs (10-20 plans).

2 votes
dericleeyy November 4, 2015

Hi Haani,

In theory, you can run unlimited amount of local agents. However, this isn't really recommended because the local agents runs within the same process as the Bamboo server.

Example, if your agents max out the resources on your server, it will affect the performance of your Bamboo server as well which may lead to crashing the server.

Best regards,
Deric Lee

Ajay Gupta April 8, 2016

Multiple local agent, can I have simultaneous SSH connection across  multiple local agents. Each SSH could be long running job?

thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events