Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy without release

Alexander Azhevsky April 18, 2016

Hi there

I have two deploy environments: test and production. Bamboo requires to make releases before deploying to any of it. But for test environment I do not want to make release. How can I achieve it?

Thanks!

4 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2016

As Alexey said, you can go for different release numbers in Test and Prod. But there is another way you can think of it.

Ideally, you do not have to create a separate release for Test and Prod. You create a release for Test, and test it. Once it looks good, you approve the release and promote it to production. In this case, Test and Production are two environments in the same deployment project.

By doing this, you might have release-1, 2 and 3 in test but you might end up promoting only release-3 to Prod.

0 votes
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2016

You can continue with autoincrement like x.x.x+1 for test releases and as soon you're ready for "real" release - manually create version x.x+1.0

0 votes
Alexander Azhevsky April 18, 2016

This leads to multiple version autoincrement between "real" releases, and disallows any possibility to plan next "real" release version. Another way is disable version autoincrement when releasing build and set versions manually, but I wish bamboo makes this automatically after "real" release.

0 votes
Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2016

Think about release as a tag for your build result. It's not something cast in stone. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events