Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy Branch to Production

paul strachan August 12, 2015

Hi,

The bamboo documentation states that branches should never be deployed into production.  We are using subversion with recommended structure as /trunk, /branches, /tags.

We are working on new features and have reached a point where some of the new features have been merged from feature branch to trunk. 

However a problem has been found in current production version and we need to deploy a "patch".  What we are thinking we need to do is:

a) create a branch from the existing production tag

b) commit the fix into the branch

c) also merge the fix into trunk

d) deploy the branch (patch) into production

Can someone please advise if this approach is wrong, and why does the Bamboo documentation say branches should not be released into production.  I certainly agree that feature branches should never be deployed into production - but what about patches (i.e. release branch)?  Is this approach wrong? 

At some point we have to merge our features branches into trunk, but there always exists a window where an urgent production bug could be discovered and we need to deploy a branch.

My 2nd question is what is the best practice for managing feature branches with deployment projects in non production config - should we be creating a new deployment project for every branch, or should we use the same deployment project and create releases from different branches and/or trunk depending on whcih environment we are going to?  What is Bamboo best practice for this i.e. 1 deployment project with many releases on different branches + trunk OR 1 deployment project per branch/feature or business project?

Look forward to your response

Cheers,

Paul

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2015

I am not deploying yet with bamboo, but your process sounds right.

We use the same with git. The use the prefix "release/" for those branches and keep them forever. We also give them the name of the major release number.

Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2015

The process of this basically depends on the projects/products needs. Not all products allow bugfixings on trunks/masters only.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events