Dependency between branch plans

Kelbrad May 18, 2017

Hi All,

I have two project plans in Bamboo (let’s call it project A and project B). So project B depends on project A, meaning that each time build of project A finishes successfully, I would like to automatically trigger build of project B. But, it’s a bit more complicated than that. Both project have nearly identical branch structure (dev branch for development, master branch holding last stable version and version branches for each release - versions are identical for both projects). Ouhh and I'm using GIT, but this does not change anything really.

Now, I would like to only trigger build of relevant branch, i.e.: If I run build of project A (branch dev), I would like to trigger build of project B (on branch dev, not any other!).

I see that bamboo has dependency plans management, but it looks like it’s lacking (or I don’t know how to use it properly).

I’ve configured dependency between project A and B (A is parent of B). Unfortunately it does not work correctly for me.

Each time I run build of A (on branch dev) it indeed triggers the build B, but on different branch (master -> which is default branch for the project B).

I looked through documentation here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bamboo/using-plan-branches-289276872.html (Branch dependencies), and I think this should be possible (or I'm reading that wrong). Is there something that I'm missing. 

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

3 votes
Kelbrad May 18, 2017

OK, I think that I've found something. Looks like behaviour is dependant on whatever branch is default one or not.

If you run plan build on specific branch (other than default one), bamboo will automatically trigger build of dependent project on the branch with the same name.

If you run plan build on default branch, bamboo will automatically trigger build of dependent project on the default branch also (no matter what’s the branch name)!

Can anyone confirm my findings?

Thanks!

mikhail_matrosov December 3, 2019

I have exactly the same problem. Were you able to find a solution?

Like Steve Steele likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events