Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Behavior of Plan Branches in Bamboo

ashleyg May 5, 2017

I would like to know a few things here about the current behavior of plan branches in bamboo for latest version.
1) With auto branch enabled setting, if someone manually deletes the plan branch and re-creates it within the plan , will that be automatically cleaned up by bamboo in sometime. Please note the corresponding Bitbucket branch is still intact and nothing has been done there.

2) Every time that one does as mentioned above, i believe a new branch-id is created for the plan branch even if the Bitbucket branch is the same and has been there ever. Having said so, does bamboo just look after the branch details in accordance with the Bitbucket repository like detected_deletion_date, etc or how is it recorded within bamboo database.

3) With auto branch setting after a certain period of inactivity, the branches automatically gets cleaned up from the plan, and for any later commits to the branch we have to manually re-add the branch in the plan for the builds to work. I wonder if these branches again get auto cleaned up next time that bamboo does a auto clean activity or they remain active in the plan as long as their corresponding Bitbucket branches have some level of activity going on.

All these questions are to address how bamboo tracks the plan branches. Because as long as the branch in Bitbucket has not changed/deleted, the plan branches don't have any detection_deletion_date and if they are manually deleted or get deleted and re-added as per #3, how does bamboo then track those branches.Does bamboo still refer to old deletion date or how everything works.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ashley

1 answer

0 votes
Elias Zeidan (they/them)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2017

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your questions!

1. If the plan Branch is deleted and then recreated, the branch will not be automatically cleaned up until it hits the inactivity threshold defined in the branch configuration.

2. You are correct, a new branch ID is created in this scenario.
    Yes, Bamboo will refer to Bitbucket for the detected_deletion_date and similar fields. These are populated when we receive a Branch Deleted Event from Bitbucket.

3. Given items 1 and 2, we would show the newly re-added branch as a new object, which would have its own deletion date field. This will not trigger the cleanup, and it will remain active as long as the linked Bitbucket branch is active.

I hope these help!

Cheers,

Elias Zeidan
Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events