Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused with Bamboo git branch auto-merge

Eric Eric September 4, 2013

I'm trying to get the auto merge up and working on bamboo. Here's what i *think* i want. Feel free to chime in on better ways.

I've got a master branch and a development branch. Master is basically what's going out to production. Development is the currenty development branch that developers will clone/fork to a new feature branch where they'll work on their features. Then they issue a pull request from the new feature branch to be pulled into the development branch (after a review process)

I'm worried about drift between the feature branches folks are working on and the development branch. For example, two developers clone/fork the development branch at the same time (and have thes ame code) they both work on their features and feature1 finishes first and is pushed to development. I want the new code on development to be put on the feature2 branch automatically.

I thought the Branch Updater feature was the mechanism to make this work. I set a Branch Updater plan my feature1 and feature2 branches that were to merge from the development branch on a successful build of the development branch.

I made a commit and pushed to feature1 branch. Then i created a pull request and pulled the new code onto the development branch. I was expecting bamboo to the pullRequest change set to featureBranch2.

I've tried a couple of permutations using both the Gateway and Branch Updater strategies but haven't been able to find the secret sauce

1 answer

0 votes
PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2013

Hello Eric,

Actually, may I ask why do you need the new code on development to be put automatically on the feature2 (and feature3, feature4, featureX branches as well I assume) ?

I'm not 100% sure it is possible what you want (I'd have to check a few things first), but I believe it is do-able. Although I'd like to know your use-case a little bit more, as I find automatic development-to-feature merges to be very resource exhausting.

Also, can you elaborate a bit more on how you want CI (running tests) fit into your workflow? Is it that you want feature branches to be automatically tested, and when the branch passes the review you 'blindly' merge the branch into 'development' (without 'dry-running' tests against the merge result)?
Care to shed some light on that matter?

regards,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events