Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure plan from file

Matthias Hogerheijde February 3, 2016

It would be realy nice to be able to have the possibility to configure a plan using some configuration file. That file could then be stored inside the repository of the project that needs building. The only thing left to do then is to tell Bamboo to create a plan from a certain repository.

This would make a few things possible:

1. Having a (feature-)branch that needs different setup, without needing to configure an entire plan on Bamboo
    1. And the reverse: you'd be able to run an old version or branch on the same plan.
  2. Having a (formal) definition of what a build is for a certain project
    For example: the build-artefacts are now only stated in the bamboo plan, inspecting the repository won't tell you what artefacts are important.
  3. No need to clone plans for similar-but-different builds
  4. ...
  5. Profit!!

It would, of course, be possible to just create plans that run a standard script of some kind, but that would almost defy the use of Bamboo. Things like trend-lines, test result status, knowing what artefacts are important, are – imo – a key aspect of the Bamboo build ecosystem.

Kind Regards,

Matthias

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2016

Feature requests should be posted at jira.atlassian.com - there are a number of similar requests there already (see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-1223 and the issues it links to) - you can vote for these issues and watch them for progress.  It seems like Atlassian has acknowledged and prioritized the request, but not announced any concrete release dates.

I agree that this would be an extremely valuable and indeed essential feature.  I'm currently reading Jez Humble's book "Continuous Delivery" and it seems like this is a mandatory feature from his way of thinking.

Matthias Hogerheijde February 3, 2016

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your explanation. I did some googling, but didn't come across BAM-1223 unfortunately. I'll upvote that ticket! smile I will make future feature-request at the correct place.

0 votes
Adam Pryce April 27, 2017
0 votes
pradhyumna shrestha February 3, 2016

I would love to have this feature

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events