cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration for Pull-Request-only builds

Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2014

Hello,

Our builds take usually 40 minutes (already using IncrediBuild distributing to 10 machines). Creating installers takes again about 30 minutes, installers are about 2GB large (compressed). Artifacts are even bigger (C++ native Windows software).

We use git-flow and before a pull-request is allowed to be merged it has to pass a build (no tests yet included). "Requires a minimum of <1> successful builds" is enabled in Stash.

Right now I use Jenkins with a refspec to checkout the pull-request branches. How do i configure a refspec in Bamboo? There is no such field anywhere. If I allow all branches to build, then the builds will just queue up. We have ~20 developers pushing several times a day to their branches. Build results become important for integrators only once a developer has created a pull-request and then it needs to have precedence over other builds.

(I spent the last whole week to search here and the internet for solutions/workarouns, but found nothing usefull; only obsolete/incomplete information.)

I would like my team to switch to Bamboo, but this (apart from Stash PR triggers not (yet?) working) is the only issue, which seems to block us.

BTW: Whats the difference between trigger types "Repository triggers..." and "Stash repository triggers..."? 

Bamboo version: 5.6.1
Stash version: 3.2.0
JIRA version: 6.2 

Best Regards, Mike

2 answers

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2014

How would a regexp capturing pull-request branches only look like? Like so?:

pull-requests/.*

(we need build the source branch of a pull-request - only when a pull-request is active)

Mike

Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2014

I'm not really sure if pull requests have a permanent branch in Stash. Maybe mark this question with Stash label as well?

Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 8, 2014

So far i know, they don't. That's why i mentioned the refspec above. The refspec would be somthing like this: +refs/pull-requests/*/from:refs/remotes/origin/pr/*

0 votes
Krystian Brazulewicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2014

How do i configure a refspec in Bamboo?

You're not able to specify the whole refspec but you can specify branch name pattern and only those branches will be autocreated in Bamboo. More info here.

Whats the difference between trigger types "Repository triggers..." and "Stash repository triggers...

Stash repository trigger has a built-in fallback to a predefined polling if we diagnose that Stash is not able to remotely trigger builds in Bamboo.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events