Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commits labeled "M"

Nick Stoughton May 19, 2016

I see some commits are labeled "M" in the Bamboo Code Commits Tab (and repeated on the Summary tab). What does this mean?

3 answers

2 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2016

It means that those commits were the result of a merge.

1 vote
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2016

They are merged commits. Idea is if you merge multiple commits and then the build fails we only notify the person doing the merge rather than marking half your team as responsible. To indicate the commits that are not taken into account when we determine responsibility, notifications and so on, we flag them with 'M'

mikhail_matrosov July 10, 2017

How exactly bamboo understands, which new commits were "merged" and which were not? Git does not know which branch a commit was originally committed into. I'm interested in a general case, when we do not use pull requests and perform merges manually.

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2017

We use heuristics that checks at ancenstry path between previous and the current build. If a commit is not on the path, it's most probably a 'merged' commit. Obviously, this doesn't always work, but is good enought for typical setup.

mikhail_matrosov July 10, 2017

Fair enough. Is this something more complicated than simply walking to the first parent each time? Is it documented? And can we change this behavior?

0 votes
G__Sylvie_Davies__bit-booster_com_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2016

They are merge commits.

Hmm, I don't see them in my Bamboo install (5.10.0).

They make a lot more sense if you install one of the commit-graph add-ons available in marketplace.atlassian.com and the look at them in Bitbucket Server (search for "commit graph"):

490a7183-2c90-459e-8773-3429085b1f7f.png

I recommend Bit-Booster Commit Graph.

But I'm biased.  I'm the author of that add-on.  smile

Perhaps I should port it to Bamboo!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events