Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code Quality + Bamboo = Show Stopper?! REALLY!?

dustin_barnes January 10, 2014

Ok, this is bordering on insanity. There are literally zero -- that's right, ZERO -- ways to track code quality of projects in Bamboo 5.4.x. Checkstyle, FindBugs, jsLint, PMD, CPD. There are all standard tools that are well-supported in most other CI servers -- like, say, the FREE Jenkins.

I'm beginning to think I made a HUGE mistake by suggesting Bamboo to my organization, and that we should have gone with TeamCity. In fact, we just dropped several thousand dollars for a CI/CD server that is LESS CAPABLE than a FREE build server. This is absolutely unacceptable for a CI tool. It's a very basic feature. It's like Maven being unable to compile Java until "3rd parties" update plugins.

I also don't buy the argument that they're "3rd-party" plugins. These tools form the core of analyzing and tracking your code quality. These shouldn't even be optional plugins, they should be first-level supported, much like Maven and JUnit coverage. Atlassian should stop everything they're doing and get these tools supported ASAP. Because in the mean time, we're not even going to install Bamboo. It's that useless to us without this support.

5 answers

3 votes
Daniel Tetzner January 16, 2014

Couldn't agree more...

0 votes
Timothy Harris October 24, 2014

Tried to get some feedback at the CoDe conference in Copenhagen but basically got nowhere :-(

0 votes
Timothy Harris October 15, 2014

At one point SonarQube worked. Well it is now broken. I checked the confluence page of the company who maintains it, Marvelution. Doesn't look like there will be any update anytime soon. 

I work for a consultant company. We are Atlassian partners and are installing and helping set up the whole suite of Atlassian products. Unfortunately this is a deal breaker for Bamboo at least. Static code analysis is a must. So we are, in all likelihood, going to fall back to Jenkins. 

0 votes
Jason Monsorno
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2014

What language are you compiling? There are plenty of ways to include coverage and/or quality reports, most just aren't one click solution.

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2014

Have you looked at the marketplace ? There are a couple of add-ons that seems to say they do this.

dustin_barnes January 12, 2014

I have. The checkstyle one only supports 4.4.x (and only because of a pull request...). The rest are similarly out of date.

But Jenkins has this: https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Analysis+Collector+Plugin, which seems like such a basic thing to be supported in a commercial CI tool.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events