Cannot connect to the Docker daemon

Deleted user December 1, 2016

I'm running Bamboo on an Ubuntu server, where I have installed Docker as well.
The docker command cannot be ran from within a bamboo plan, but there's no problem running it from the terminal.

The error in the build plan is /usr/bin/docker: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. Is the docker daemon running on this host?. but in fact the daemon background process and the service are running and I am able to lift containers directly from terminal...

I have added the ubuntu user to the docker groups, so that the docker commands can be ran without sudo, but I suspect that the Bamboo plans are ran with some other user (which I am not sure how to find out), and that is why Bamboo cannot run the docker ... commands.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user December 13, 2017

Hi,

This happens because the user running bamboo, usually bamboo in unable to connect to docker using the unix socket file, usually /var/run/docker.sock, which is owned by root.

# ls -l /var/run/docker.sock
srw-rw---- 1 root root 0 Dec 11 18:06 /var/run/docker.sock

You may change the group of this file to dockerroot and add the bamboo user to this group.

# chgrp bambooroot /var/run/docker.sock
srw-rw---- 1 root dockerroot 0 Dec 11 18:06 /var/run/docker.sock

# usermod -a -G dockerroot bamboo
# groups bamboo
bamboo : bamboo dockerroot

That's it ! You may enjoy running docker as user bamboo now, from terminal as well as bamboo plan.

Good Luck!

Sudesh K Kantila

Corné Aussems December 13, 2017

Thanks Sudesh, 

Works now exactly like you described !

C.heers

1 vote
rsperafico
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2016

Hello Galin,

You could open a Terminal and check the user running the Bamboo process:

ps aux | grep bamboo

Also, is docker located under /usr/bin/docker ? If you list the directory, under which user/group the same is under?

ls -l /usr/bin/docker

Kind regards,
Rafael P. Sperafico

0 votes
Corné Aussems January 23, 2017

Hi Galin,

I suffer exactly the same. under the bamboo user i even can run the same command that the log file produces.

Also tried variations like:
bin/sudo /usr/bin/docker 
sudo /usr/bin/docker 
docker  

add user bamboo to docker group

all to no avail.

Hope you solved it.

Regards,
Corné

Deleted user December 13, 2017

Hi Corne,

See my reply to the initial question.