Can automatically managed Bamboo plan branches trigger from polling without the main plan branch?

Louis Burton June 23, 2014

My plan branches do not have the same relevant stages as the branch from which they stem from.

Why does my CI plan have to track a main branch; and can I trigger the automatically managed plan branches in a different fashion to the main branch? I do not want the main branch to ever trigger with this plan, but I do want the plan branches to trigger.

If I have to manually update the automatically managed branches to adjust their triggers, this defeats the purpose of having automatically managed branches.

For background, I'm actually following the CI format of Atlassian Connect using jgitflow and I have no desire to repeat the CI on my develop branch multiple times for the same commit. The plan branches have extra stages, such as release finish, which are not relevant to the develop branch, but is relevant to all release branches that stem from it.

Here is the Atlassian video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH59FheL1l4

In the original presentation for this, the presenting Atlassian employee originally stated this behaviour was a bug.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2014

Any branch can be your 'main branch' in Bamboo, which means there's a simple workaround: create a a branch you will never push to, set Bamboo main plan to point to it.

There's an open feature request to support default triggers on plan branches that are different from main branch: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-12451Please vote.

Louis Burton June 27, 2014

I had done exactly this actually and have a bambooWorkaround branch.

I did try it before raising this question, but must always remember that the plan branches only override the default repository branch. I had hoped simply adding a repo against this dummy branch to the plan and ticking this for my trigger it would be enough - but no, it didn't trigger the branches, as the dummy branch must be the default repo branch for the plans to override it. Maybe this is obvious to others, but once realised it does indeed meet my objective.

Worst thing is, I had already voted on this ticket, but must have forgotten about it! Sorry.

0 votes
Louis Burton June 25, 2014

any takers?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events