Can I send a notification when a Bamboo build starts?

John Cheripka January 22, 2014

Can I send a notification when a Bamboo build starts? It seems all the notification options are tailored to when the build completes or fails.

3 answers

0 votes
John Cheripka January 28, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion Kelly. I was able to send an email when the build starts by using an inline script task.

0 votes
Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

One thought would be to notify on the first job completing - while Plan notifications support jobs, it's job failures and/or change of status, so that wouldn't help.

I can think of two options:

1) Put a script step in there and run a shell/vbs script (depending on your OS) that sends an smtp email to an address. If you google, you can find dozens of vbs scripts that will send an email, for instance. The advantage of this option is you can customize the email contents.

2) It's kludgey, but you could tie two jobs together - the "real" job could be the child and an empty parent job could be what you kick off and provides the notification (that job #2 is starting). The advantage of this option is your email stays in the Bamboo Notification framework - nice html email, nice choices of recipients. The biggest disadvantage I can think of is you can't really customize the contents of the email. You'd have to name the plan something like "Plan #2 is starting", so its more obvious to the recipients what is occurring

I can see pro's and con's to both; I would go with option #1 to be honest. Find a nice smtp email script and you could customize the content in an plan arguement I bet. You could include several variables from the plan and punch up the content.

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

what is triggering the build? Manual or automatic process?

John Cheripka January 22, 2014

Currently set up as a manual process because the plan is not fully operational yet, but will be looking to move to an automated process once the plan is stable.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events