Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create "artifacts" in a deployment plan?

Denno81 August 3, 2016

Here is a Use Case. 

I have process A, that should insert data into database B, which is consumed by process C.

A --> B --> C

Process A and C are big projects that have their own life cycle and have their own Build and corresponding deployment plans. Database B is created in a separate deployment plan. A and C require the existence of B, so the deploy plan for B is triggered by both deploy of A and C. Deploy plan of B is such that it checks for the existence of B and only it doesn't exist, it's created. The sub chain B and C can live without A in a test setup, same for A and B without C.

Phew, hope you can make sense out of that. 

So here's the question. As deploy of B is triggered by deploy of A and C, I'd like to have deploy of B to create user accounts in the DB for both processes A and C. No human needs that account, it should only be known by A and C respectively. I can't create credential files in the deploy plan and expose them as artifacts (as deploy plans do not create artifacts). In that case I would be able to pick it up in deploy of A and C, after deploy for B was finished, but alas.

Do you recognize this scenario? 

I can't and won't abuse build plans just to get the artifact functionality, as I have separate environments.

I've been thinking of a some kind of external credentials vault that only Bamboo can access, and transfer the credentials between the deploy plans from there.

Any other options?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Sergey Podobry _Stellarity Software_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2016

No, deployment plans can only consume artifacts. In case you ended up with an external credentials storage take a look at Vault by HashiCorp.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events