Can Bamboo run in standalone, solitary on manual mode?

LUC FILION November 28, 2016

We are looking for having Bamboo run in a standalone mode, disconnected from a source control program (such as BitBucket). Is this possible ?

We would need for that something like : 

• The possibility to set triggers that would simply have Bamboo to build a predefined plan (located in its specific directory). File updates in this directory would be manual (script for instance).

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2016

Good question, that's indeed not obvious when reading about Configuring plans, where Linking to source code repositories seems to be a required step, even though using Bamboo without a source code repository is no problem at all - somewhat counter intuitively, you still need to select 'Link new repository', but with a repository type 'None':

image2016-11-28 19:33:59.png

Of course, you'd need to transfer files required for the build (if any) to your working directory by other means, as you already stated.

As for triggers, I'm afraid that (to my knowledge) what you seem to be looking for isn't available, insofar Bamboo is only able to conditionally run the build based on whether files have changed when using a repository type that implements applicable repository interfaces for change detection etc. - accordingly, you'd need to resort to triggering a build from the context that performs the file upload, be it manually or automated.

• In other words, implementing a repository type that watches a file system for changes seems possible, but I'm not aware of an existing implementation.

LUC FILION November 28, 2016

Thank you Steffen,

Yes I saw this "None" option available for selection. Now the following question would be: how to trigger the build then? Should we use the CLI plugin to manually queue and launch builds through batch files? Is there any "directory polling" available from the GUI we could use (Bamboo would automatically poll and look for changes in its plan directory, triggering a build?

Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2016

I see, sorry for missing that important aspect - I've amended my answer accordingly, with the TL;DR being that I think you need to resort to manually queuing and launching builds indeed.

Are you by chance using AWS? We (Utoolity) are contemplating a conceptually related 'Amazon S3 repository' type so that we could add resp. triggers for AWS services that are integrated with S3 to e.g. Tasks for AWS (Bamboo) or Automation with AWS (Bamboo). Disclaimer: While I'm highly interested to tackle this soon, I'm admittedly having a hard time to justify the considerable effort at this point, so I'm mostly gauging interest here ;)

LUC FILION November 29, 2016

Thank you Steffen, 

We are not on AWS, we are trying to create some sort of local build machine and use Bamboo for that. Files to build would not always come from BitBucket, therefore the need to look for some other solution. I'll test the solution through command line scripts. I'll share to results so that the the Atlassian community can benefit from this experience.

Alexey Chystoprudov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2016

You can configure bamboo plan with cron schedule (Triggers -> Scheduled) which will look at folder content and if required - trigger another plan via REST call - https://docs.atlassian.com/bamboo/REST/5.14.1/#d2e1551

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events