Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build status - env variable, or a "run on fail" job?

Peter Wilson September 1, 2014

Warning - new to Bamboo - ignorance is highly probable.

We have a bit of a weird scenario. We are running bamboo jobs to execute our automated cucumber tests. We use the wallboard as build and environment checks and want to display the wallboard on our new samsung smart TV.

The smart TV can connect via wifi to a network but because of our security policies we won't be able to get it onto our corporate network.

We do have a wireless access point that goes staright to the outside world but can't get back into our internal network from there.

So the question is how to hook up our TV to show the Bamboo wallboard?

I know we could setup a computer near it and plug in an hdmi cable but this seems a bit lame, and we would need to get facilties involved and that is going to take time and effort, it's usually about as fun as chewing your own foot off. Kind of a last resort.

So in that spirit, we set up an external website that simulates the wallboard, and all you have to do to update it is do a wget with something like "wget http://mysite/TestEnvA/SmokeTest/Pass" and it will update the site and reflect on the simulated wallboard.

This is all great, but when we went to use it we realised there is no way to send the Pass or Fail at the end of the wget. There is no environment variable we can pass, and future stages aren't run if a previous one fails.

So any ideas on how we could solve our problem?

I was thinking it would be good if the final stage of our plan was an update with pass and then run a different script if the job failed that did an update with fail, but I don't think there is any run on fail stage is there?

Cheers

Peter

1 answer

0 votes
Peter Wilson September 3, 2014

Got around it. Set up a chron job to pull results from the Bamboo project wallboard and push them to the external website. Let me know if any of you have any other ideas.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events